Name of Grant
£70 for the mare owner for covering each mare with a Registered Licensed Suffolk Stallion.
|Only 1 grant per mare per season.|
Reported Births Grant
(NEW GRANT FOR 2018)
£125 for the mare owner for each birth
1. The owner of the dam must report the birth of foal to the SHS within seven (7) days of it occurring.
2. The grant will be paid for each live or still born foal or aborted visible foetus.
3. The grant will also be payable if the mare dies and is shown to be in-foal by a Veterinary Surgeon’s post mortem.
4. These events must be reported to the SHS office within seven days of them occurring.
Foal Registration Grant
£200.00 for mare owners for registering foals before 1st October 2018 - to cover the cost of the blood sample, a tetanus inoculation and as a reward for registration.
IN ADDITION an equine passport will be supplied free of charge. (Under EU legislation all horses in the UK require an equine passport. A foal must have a passport within six months of its birth or by 31st December of the year of its birth, whichever is later.)
PLUS the registration fee of £20.00 will be waived.
1. The owner of the dam of each foal must report the birth of the foal to the SHS within seven (7) days of it occurring.
2. On receipt of the report of each live birth the office will send a registration form to the mare owner for completion by a veterinary surgeon. The completed form must be returned to the office before 1st October 2018 and will be incorporated into the equine passport.
3. The owner of the dam of each foal must provide the Society with a covering certificate (form MCC) for each foal to be registered. Covering certificates are mandatory under EU legislation.
4. The foal must be micro-chipped. (Please note under EU legislation micro-chipping is mandatory for all horses issued with a new passport after 30th June 2009.)
5. Owners of foals forward for registration must submit a blood sample to the Animal Health Trust in Newmarket, to be held by them. Details will be provided with the registration forms.
Whilst not wishing to dictate to owners, the SHS strongly advises that all horses are immunized against tetanus.
We strongly recommend that all foals be given tetanus anti-toxin shortly after birth to provide initial protection before a full immunization program can begin at around 6 months of age.
Foal Post Mortem Grant
We will pay the cost of a post mortem for still born foals. Check with the Society for more details.
Professional Report of Post Mortem findings to be lodged with the Society.
Covering Travel Grant
Available to mare owners for expenses incurred in travelling long distances to a suitable stallion. Payable at £1 per mile round trip. The travelling grant is predicated upon the journey, not the mare. Therefore, the mileage calculation is the same regardless of the number of mares being moved.
1. Owners wishing to claim a mare travel grant must write to the Society with details of the mileage incurred. Claims must be received by 1st October 2018 at the latest.
2. Only 1 claim per mare, per covering season will be applied.
Owners of mares that have failed to conceive, or had difficulty conceiving, for two breeding seasons/ years, are asked to contact the office. The SHS will pay for a veterinary examination to see if the cause can be identified.
We have updated the Suffolk Horse Society Recommendations for Equine Flu for the showing season. Please READ MORE here
Spring Seminar 2019
Discounts with your SHS Membership Card
Welcome to the World Bluegum Lady Aurora!
STALLION LISTING FOR 2019
Now available to download from our website
If you would prefer a hard copy of this booklet, please call the office on 01394 380643, and we will happily post one to you!
AFFILIATED SHOWS 2019
Look at "What's Happening" for an up-to-date list of Affiliated Shows for 2019!
STALLIONS AT STUD
Check out our newly updated A-Z of Stallions at Stud for 2019
Now user-friendly for IPads and mobile phones!
Select the "Family Tree" for a 5 generation Pedigree report, and select the SHS Logo for a Photograph of each Stallion*
*Please note that the Photographs appear automatically if using website on a PC/Laptop.
The keen-eyed of you will have noticed that our homepage looks different!
We have had a small refresh done to update the look of the website. This has been done free of charge, and we thank Free-rein for their kind services on this. All features and accesses operate as previously, but we have added icons for direct access to our Instagram and Facebook pages.
WHERE TO SEE A SUFFOLK
You may have already seen our postcard, advertising places that you can visit in order to see a Suffolk. We have now also listed these places under Links To Other Sites, and will update this listing as we are notified of more places where Suffolks can be seen.
You can view her art at
Our Stallion A-Z Listing now includes a 5 generation pedigree for each listed stallion. Click on the tree symbol shown on the individual stallion's detail
Horserace Betting Levy Board Publishes Codes of Practice for 2018
The Codes are an essential guide for the prevention and control of equine diseases threatening equine breeding.
The SHS recommends that all Suffolk owners/breeders familiarise themselves with the new code - see our website main panel, in order to read the HBLB's full press release and provided links.
Like the idea of buying some horsey clothing AND helping the Society?
Click on the image to find out more!
Click on the image to report a case of
Attention all Suffolk horse owners.
Is your Equine Passport up to date? It is a UK LEGAL requirement to tell us IMMEDIATELY if
- your horse has died and you have not returned the passport
- if you have bought a horse and not arranged for the passport to be endorsed into your name
Trading standards can fine owners in possession of incorrect passports. Click here to see the Legal Responsibility of Owners.